Thursday, January 15, 2009

My body is staging a revolution apparently.

I woke up this morning and my eye was swollen shut. I had had a tender area for 3 days that kept growing, but I thought it was a cyst. But it wasn't. So I call a dermatologist, but they can't fit me in for 2 weeks. And I'm not convinced my face has that long as the swollen area was reaching from the top of my forehead to the bottom of my eye. So I went to health services. The doctors are all intrigued. Staph!, they say. I've had staph before, I say. Almost positively staph then! they say. The nurse practicioner was talking about a mile a minute. It's serious, she tells me. It's serious, the doctors agree. It could spread into my sinus cavity and form abcesses and cause confusion, dizzyness, and all around would-be-kind-of-funny-if-
it-wasn't-so-serious behavior.

So they decide on a treatment and 3 doctors and 2 nurses and a nursing student leave our cramped little room to go out in the hallway and discuss the impending mountain on my face. Baxi 4 pills a day, Doxi 2 pills a day, a shot for the swelling, a flourescent strip thingy, a blacklight, a few pictures, and 3 scheduled future visits later, a fourth doctor walks up to see whose causing all the commotion. Then the I hear the nurse say, "Wanna see something cool?" I hear hushed whispers. I hear the nurse say "She sure is a trooper. She drove all the way here with one eye swollen shut!" (That was a very unpleasant experience hah). They walk in and the commotion starts all over again. Staph, shingles, etc!

"She's had staph before!"
"It must be staph!"
"Did you get a culture"
"Tried, but not enough fluid"

back and forth, back and forth.

I heard the doctor in the room next to mine instructing his patient on getting rid of his STD. "That's quite a rash." etc. I hear coughing down the hall. The nurse comes over to me and says "I'm not scheduled to work in here tomorrow. I'll be in the women's clinic. When you come in for your appointment, you tell them to come get me. They'll look at you like you're crazy, but tell them to do it anyway." She says this very fast with a glow in her eye.

It's then I realize I have made her day.

I told Mom, who is entirely freaked out (and actually has reason to be it seems). She's coming to get me to take me to the doctor that treated me last time to find out if I need to go ahead and be on an IV. Excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Layout