Thursday, December 18, 2008

"Buddy, get off the table!"

Day 5 of Life with Dog. It's an interesting, although frustrating, experience thus far. Buddy has recently discovered the outside table. He refuses to come in the bathroom with me when I'm showering because he thinks he's going to get a bath, and I can't trust him alone in the house (more on this later), so yesterday I decided to put him outside for 20 minutes while I showered. After getting ready, I opened the door so I could go play fetch with Buddy only to find him standing on the table with two plants that had formerly been on the table on the deck and in the backyard. A giant pot was turned over, and Buddy was ferociously licking anything he could get his tongue on. I scolded him for getting on the table, but today after putting him outside so I could do laundry in peace, I walked out to the same mini-disaster zone.

And then...

Buddy continuously chews up his toys. Josh bought him a new bone online that came yesterday, and it already looks like it's been around for about a year of chewing. I took Buddy to PetSmart with me today to give him some time out of the house (We've skipped walks the last 2 days because he keeps getting ticks and his prevention didn't come until today.. and he already is being treated for a disease caused by ticks.). He's a little like a hound in that once he smells something, he must follow it and he tunes out all other distractions.. including me. So we're walking through the rainy parking lot with me struggling to keep ahold of him while putting my keys in my purse. I decided to stop for a second in the entrance of PetSmart in order to put up my keys and get a good grip on Buddy. Instead, he wraps me up in the leash and takes off, causing me to completely tip over in front of the cashier and line of customers. Needless to say, I was unhappy.

He also destroyed a scarf, a glove, and a hairclip today.

Other than these minor-if-it's-not-you mishaps, he's been great. He's completely housebroken. He's getting a little more used to his crate. He doesn't quite bodyslam it anymore anyway. He loves to get his belly rubbed, and he always wants to know what I'm doing. If he gets scared, he runs and hides behind me or jumps in my lap. He's a little hyper, but he loves to play fetch so it's not so hard to burn off his energy. He's very loving. He just loves everybody. Keri and Kristyn were over here a couple days ago and he was constantly wanting to curl up with Keri or lick Kristyn. He was the same way with my family and the neighbor.

I think what maybe I'm struggling to get used to about him is: it's not just me and Josh anymore. There is absolutely no such thing as "alone time". I just didn't think that would happen so soon.

In other news: I'm going back to Lochinvar part-time. I'm actually really excited because I'm bored out of my mind at the house all day. Not to mention, the extra money would offset the cost of the dog thus far.

I'm waiting on sausage balls to finish so Josh can take them to work for a Holiday thing tomorrow. Which means I'm going to be nice a tired when I get up with Buddy in the morning.

Super.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Layout